Ministry of Communications is central policy making body and administrative authority in roads infrastructure, road transportation, provision of communication link between individuals and businesses, provision of research & training to relevant stake holders and policing on National Highways & Motorways.
Accelerated socio-economic development for national cohesion through research based policy making, reliable and sustainable communication services and road infrastructure.
To provide safe, reliable, sustainable and fully integrated communication services and road infrastructure to meet communication/mobility requirements of the people/businesses and goods
Functions of the Ministry
The main objectives / functions of the Ministry of Communications are:
- National Communications policy making, planning, research development, maintenance of communication services and road infrastructure; (MOC, NTRC, NHA)
- Policy making on National Highways and strategic roads; (MOC, NHA, NHMP, NTRC)
- Policing on National Highways and Motorway (NHMP)
- Provision of Postal Services (MOC, Pak Post)
- Provision of technical/vocational training for local and International industries (NTRC, CTTI)
- Monitoring and Evaluation of Projects of National importance related to Communication services and road infrastructure (PM&E)
- Enemy Property Management (EPC)
Organization of the Division
The Ministry of Communications consists of the main Ministry headed by a Federal Secretary. It has been organized into 2 wings (namely) Administration Wing headed by Joint Secretary-I and Roads & Road Transport Wing headed by Joint Secretary-II. There are a number of autonomous as well as attached / subordinate departments under the Ministry.
The Ministry of Communications exercise administrative control over the following Departments / Organizations:
National Highway Authority
National Highways and Motorways Police
National Transport Research Center
Construction Technology Training Institute
Enemy Property Cell
Allocation of Business
The Federal Government has allocated following business to the Ministry as per schedule-II of Rules of Business 1973,
- National Planning, research and international aspects of road and road transport.
- National highways and strategic roads; National Highway Council and Authority; Administration of Central Road Fund and Fund for Roads of National Importance.
- Mechanically propelled vehicles; Transport Advisory Council; Urban Road Transport Corporation.
- Enemy Property.
- National Highways and Motorway Police.